Welcome back for another installment of “WiP Wednesday” here at A Novel Pursuit! Today’s post will be a bit random, as I’ve has a busy couple of weeks (and I missed posting this last week). So, without further ado, here we go!
- Short Story Workshop #1: My first short story workshop went well. The story I used (Midnight Marquee) apparently runs in the fantasy realm. I’ve never written fantasy before, so I found this interesting. I will admit, though, that I didn’t walk away from this workshop as excited as I have the others. I’m not sure if it’s because I don’t care about this story as much, or because I’m not interested in revising it (which I have to do as part of my final portfolio for the class). For now, I’m leaving sit for a while. I’ll tackle it again in November sometime.
- Writing Contests, Etc: As I mentioned in an entry yesterday, I entered a 10,000-word excerpt from my novel “Forward Together” in the William Richey Fiction Contest sponsored by Yemassee Journal at the University of South Carolina. If you’re interested in learning more about it, read the linked entry for details and a link to the website. NaNoWriMo is coming up quickly. This is my first year of participation and I’m really looking forward to it. I wrote a post about this last week, and you can read about my plans for it here.
- Current Novel Progress: Sadly, I’ve done nothing but a little bit of editing. I’ve been so busy with things for my current classes that I’ve barely had time to sleep, let alone work on my novel. I’m still mulling over chapter seven and whether I want to trash it or not. I know it needs major work, but I’m still struggling with how I can make it stronger. I need to read through all of what I have so far, as I noticed a few days ago that there are a few items that don’t add up. They’re little things, thankfully, but I’d like to get them fixed as soon as possible.
- Short Story Workshop #2: This is coming up quickly as well. I have two weeks to come up with a new story (or revise an older piece from class). I’ve got a few ideas, and since I’ll be spending a few days in a hotel room in Spokane next week, I’m hoping to get something down on paper then. I’d like to have it started before then, actually, so we’ll see how things go.
- Author Panel: Tonight I have an author panel to attend at Mt. Mary. It’s required by my advisor/short story workshop professor as part of class. These panels always tend to be pretty interesting, so I’m looking forward to this one.
That pretty much encompasses my last two weeks. My prioritization skills have gotten a bit better, and I even managed to get my entire journalism midterm written in one day (and a week early). Next Tuesday, I’m going to Washington for a week, but no worries—I’ll have my laptop and will still be posting blog entries!