With such plagues as writers block and lack of motivation constantly lurking around every corner, quotes from other writers (who have most likely dealt with these same problems) can be a saving grace of sorts for the rest of us. Hence the reasoning behind the creation of “Quotes Corner.”Certain weeks may be themed (by author), while others may be random.
Writers need inspiration, and need it often. It is my hope that you’ll find some here.
- “Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.” — John Jakes.
- “The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean.” — Robert Louis Stevenson.
- “Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.” — E.L. Doctorow.
- “Writing is making sense of life. You work your whole life and perhaps you’ve made sense of one small area.” — Nadine Gordimer.
- “Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.” — Don Delillo.
- “I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear.” — Joan Didion.
- “Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him out to the public.” — Winston Churchill.
- “Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.” — E.L. Doctorow.
- “The important thing in writing is the capacity to astonish. Not shock – shock is a worn-out word – but astonish.” — Terry Southern.
- “The important thing in writing is the capacity to astonish. Not shock – shock is a worn-out word – but astonish.” — Octavia Butler.
- “The act of writing requires a constant plunging back into the shadow of the past where time hovers ghostlike.” — Ralph Ellison.
[Were these quotes helpful? Is there anyone you’d like to see here? What inspires you the most? Let me know in the comments.]